Friday, January 31, 2014

Which vehicle did we drive?


In 1925 the Ford Motor Company introduced its first pickup truck. This new model was called the Ford Model T Runabout with Pickup Body and came in one color, black.  It turned out to be a pretty popular model and Ford sold over 33,800 that year.  In June of 1927 Henry Ford did something most people thought they would never see him do.  He ordered production ceased and he shut down all of his plants to retool for his new Model A.  In August of 1928, the Model A of the pickup was released. This truck featured an all steel cab with roll-up windows in its doors. The vehicles were available in a black or green color. Ford produced some 26,171 pickups in 1928.  My son John and I stand by the side of a 1928 Model A pickup truck.  I do not think anybody thought that this was the vehicle we drove from Orlando to San Francisco.

The Chevrolet Camaro that was manufactured by General motors went on sale in1966.  It was designed to compete with Ford’s Mustang. Four distinct generations of the Camaro were developed before production ended in 2002. A fifth generation went in production in 2009.  Those of you who thought that we drove this car made a good educated guess.  We did not drive this car but I included it as its style is similar to a red 1969 Camaro I bought when I first arrived in Chicago in 1970.  I cannot find words to describe how much I loved that car.  Also, I cannot find words to describe how heart broken I was when it was stolen on Labor Day 1973.


The 1947 Ford pickup truck with its new styling that was initiated in 1942 makes it instantly recognizable.  It came with either six cylinders or with a V8 engine.  We could have driven this truck but I am sure most of you correctly guessed it was not what we drove.


Those of you who thought we drove the Pontiac Vibe, you were right.  Your reward is the satisfaction that you are astute and can deduce correctly.  The little Pontiac with its roomy interior, reliable engine, and good fuel economy became our trusted companion for approximately ten days.  My friend and his wife kept it as they did their house in Florida in excellent condition and thus John and I drove it from Orlando to San Francisco with no difficulty whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment