Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mothers and their children

Sculpture of Native American mother and her daughter at the Museum of Indian Art in Santa Fe, New Mexico. 

Women played an important role in the life of the Native Americans.  They reared their children, gathered firewood, cooked, repaired clothing and shoes.  They also built wigwams and tepees the Native American dwellings. The men knew that women were the source of life, and provided a feeling of strength and consistency to their lives. The women often helped their men to hunt down buffalo and when the buffalo were killed were responsible for skinning, cutting and cooking the animal. 

My mother is holding me when I was 2 years old.  My mother was the sweetest person I have ever met.  She was a saint. My mother and father practiced their responsibility of love and care for each other and for their children.  They practiced their duty to raise my sister brother and me lovingly,  to provide for our physical and spiritual needs, and to teach us to love, care and serve one another.   My parents believed that their children were entitled to be brought up by a father and a mother who honored their marital vows with complete fidelity.  They also knew that successful families are established and maintained on principles of faith, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion and work.  I grew up in a patriarchal family in which fathers preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible to nurture their children.  I was fortunate to have loving and caring parents and two wonderful siblings.




4 comments:

  1. Very touching! What a tribute to great parents....family! Yeah, that is what life is all about! When all else fails, family is right there to hold you up, dust you and get you back on track! Adorable picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dimitri....you have changed very little. That sweet face and loving eyes. Your mother was very beautiful, and what she has left in your heart......she would be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post, Dad- I love the photograph of you and your mom. She was beautiful inside & out, and I wish I could have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank you all for your sweet comments

    ReplyDelete