Monday, February 24, 2014

What to bring along

What folks carry on a trip varies widely. I always carry my driver’s license, a secondary photo ID or my passport for overseas travel, my health insurance card(s) as well as credit cards and cash.  Make sure you make copies of your passport and other documents and keep them in the backpack and also leave copies at home.  In case you loose the originals they will help the local consulate issue a temporary passport.  My personal preference is to travel light.  I only take what I can fit in a small suitcase that measures 60x40x20 cm and in a small backpack.  In the United States and in Europe even if you have forgotten something you can find it locally. The following are the categories and items in each that usually carry.  Those can be altered depending on the length of the trip, the season, the place, the reason for travel and personal needs and desires.
Clothes
Jeans and a pair of slacks, two shirts, 5 T-shirts, 5 briefs, one T-shirt with long sleeves, sweaters (light, heavy), jackets (light, heavy), one pair of wool shocks, two pairs of regular shocks, scarf and wool hat.
Toiletries
Two pair of glasses, toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, shampoo, body wash.  Shaving cream and razor may not be needed if you decide to let your beard to grow on long trips.
First Aid Kit
Please bring an ample supply of prescription medicines for pre-existing conditions such as for blood pressure or diabetes etc.  I will write about what else you may consider bringing in my next post.
Computer(s)
I usually pack my laptop, its charger and adapter(s), for overseas travel in the backpack in order to carry them with me especially when I travel by plane. I think all of you have seen how suitcases are handled at the airports and when the load them in the cargo space of airplanes.  I do the same for my iPhone, its charger and car-charger. If you use your smartphone as camera as I am sure you do nothing else is needed.  If you bring a camera remember to bring the cable to download the pictures to your laptop.  In long trips consider bringing a Kindle or paper book, Finally, because of the multitude of devices we carry, an external battery can be used for charging if an outlet is not available.  Finally, a lowly flash drive can be used to transfer files from computer to computer although this can be accomplished with other means such as email or sending them via the cloud.
Miscellaneous
Multi-purpose tool, nail clippers, paper and pens for note taking.
Laundry detergent allows for washing clothes at hotels that have washing machines and dryers.  If you cannot find washers/dryers some of our clothes such as T-shirts or underclothes can be hand washed and hang to dry on the shower curtain rail which guarantees having clean and dry clothes next morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment